Can You Go To Canada After Getting a DUI?

Lewis & Laws, PLLC is backed by more than four decades of combined experience, a quality that you cannot find at all defense law firms.

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Can You Go To Canada After Getting a DUI?

Get a FREE case review now.

We are available 24/7 to take your call. (206) 209-0608

Nov 21


Can You Go To Canada After Getting a DUI?

by Anonymous

Canada has strict entry requirements for individuals with criminal convictions, including DUIs. Without proper planning, Canada will not let you into the country if you have a DWI or DUI on your record.

Traveling to Canada with a DUI depends mainly on the type of DUI on your record and how long ago it occurred. You may be allowed entry into Canada if you meet the legal terms to be deemed rehabilitation, were granted a temporary suspension, or have a temporary resident permit.

What Are the Legal Terms to Be Deemed Rehabilitated?

Under Canada’s Immigration Law, you are deemed rehabilitated if enough time has passed since your DUI. This only applies to crimes with a maximum prison sentence of fewer than ten years. You can apply for individual rehabilitation to enter Canada if at least five years have passed since the end of your DUI probation. If your DUI conviction is recent or you have not behaved well since being convicted, it is unlikely that you will be allowed into Canada.

How Does Canada Know About My DUI?

Even if your DUI occurred years ago, Canadian Border Agents could find it. That’s because the Canadian Border Services Agency uses many databases to screen tourists and visitors crossing the border. These databases allow them to search for warrants, past criminal convictions, and DUIs. As such, when they check your background at the border, they may not let you into the country when they see a prior DUI on your record.

How Can I Visit Canada With a DUI on My Record?

It is possible to enter Canada with a DUI on your record. However, it takes a bit of planning. If you have a DUI, you must apply for a Temporary Resident Permit before traveling. A legal representative can guide you through this process. It involves gathering legal documents and having fingerprints taken.

If your application is approved, you will get a permit to enter Canada during a designated time. Present your TRP at the border when you speak with a border agent or service officer. You must know that this permit is only good for a specified time. You must reapply for this permit every time you wish to enter Canada.

Fight Your DUI Charges If You Want to Travel to Canada

The best way to protect your future and your ability to travel to Canada is to avoid having a DUI on your criminal record. This is why you must contact an experienced Seattle DUI defense attorney as soon as you get arrested for DUI. If this is your first offense, your lawyer may be able to fight to get the charges reduced or even dismissed.

If you get arrested and charged with DUI, there are many defenses your Seattle DUI defense attorney could use to get the charges dropped or reduced.

The first defense is to challenge the stop. If the police did not have probable cause to stop you, anything that happened after the stop could be suppressed as evidence.

Another defense is to challenge the field sobriety or breathalyzer tests. These tests are notoriously inaccurate and often give false positives. Your DUI lawyer can show that officers failed to administer either of these tests correctly or that you had a legitimate reason for failing them.

If you face DUI charges, there are many defenses your DUI defense attorney could use to get the charges dropped or reduced. Contact an experienced DUI lawyer today to discuss your case and find out what options are available to you.

Contact Our Seattle DUI Defense Lawyers

If you got arrested for DUI anywhere in Washington, our law firm is here to help. Our Seattle DUI defense lawyers know how to fight DUI charges and get our clients the best possible outcomes.

At Lewis & Laws, PLLC, we have defended clients in Seattle, Bellevue, Everett, Kirkland, and throughout the state of Washington. Contact us today at 206.209.0608 or fill out our confidential contact form. Call us today!

« Show All
Get answers

Should I plead guilty?

Once you plead guilty to a charge, you cannot change your plea afterwards, so it always advised that you talk with a criminal defense attorney at our firm before you do this. Pleading guilty means that you are admitting your conduct is punishable by the law and you know...

Why do I need a lawyer?

A criminal charge means that you could face sanctions including jail times, fines, probation, potential loss of your driver's license and other penalties. A skilled criminal defense attorney can guide you through the court process and advocate your position in order...

May 17, 2024

Alternatives to Incarceration for Juveniles in Seattle

If your child has been arrested in Seattle, it's completely understandable that you're concerned about their future. We understand that the thought of your child facing criminal charges is...

May 3, 2024

Avoiding Accidental Violations of Protective Orders

If you have a protective order issued against you in Seattle, you must take it seriously and understand exactly what it means. Protective orders, also known as restraining orders or...