False Statement

Lewis & Laws, PLLC is backed by more than four decades of combined experience, a quality that you cannot find at all defense law firms.

Get a FREE case review now.

We are available 24/7 to take your call. (206) 209-0608

Seattle Criminal Defense Lawyers on Your Side

When a police officer or other law enforcement agent questions a witness or suspect, he or she expects that the information given will always be true. If you are suspected of giving entirely or even partially false information to a public servant, you could be charged with a gross misdemeanor. According to the Revised Code of Washington (RCW), a person who gives a false or misleading statement knowingly to a public servant could be found guilty. To prevent this from happening to you, don't hesitate to align yourself with a Seattle criminal defense attorney at our office.

This law refers specifically to “material statements,” which are generally defined as oral or written statements that could reasonably be relied upon by a public servant in his or her duties. If you are convicted of a gross misdemeanor, you could face up to one year in jail and $5,000 in fines. These punishments represent the maximum for a gross misdemeanor charge. If you have been charged with another crime combined with making a false statement to a public servant, you could face additional penalties for those offenses.


An attorney will be able to provide you with the advice and representation that you need if you have been charged with this type of offense. Even if you are innocent of any charges, it is still very important that you speak with a lawyer as soon as possible after you learn that you are accused of providing false statements. Many people make the mistake of believing that they can "explain" the mistake to police or law enforcement agents. It is never more important to speak with a lawyer than when you did not commit the crime that you have been charged with. A confident and aggressive attorney like the ones at our law firm can help you build a solid defense. Contact us today.

Take the right step after being charged!  Call 206.209.0608
Get answers

Should I plead guilty?

Once you plead guilty to a charge, you cannot change your plea afterwards, so it always advised that you talk with a criminal defense attorney at our firm before you do this. Pleading guilty means that you are admitting your conduct is punishable by the law and you know...

Why do I need a lawyer?

A criminal charge means that you could face sanctions including jail times, fines, probation, potential loss of your driver's license and other penalties. A skilled criminal defense attorney can guide you through the court process and advocate your position in order...

December 5, 2022

What Is An Arrest Warrant?

Police officers make many arrests in King County without an arrest warrant. When police officers observe a crime directly, they can make an arrest. This includes driving under the influence...

November 21, 2022

Can You Go To Canada After Getting a DUI?

Canada has strict entry requirements for individuals with criminal convictions, including DUIs. Without proper planning, Canada will not let you into the country if you have a DWI or DUI on...